FINISHED! A squiggly Dolores

Last November I bought this blue stretch crepe 'squiggly print' knit at spotlight and immediately knew it was going to be a Dolores Batwing top. Well at first I thought a Dolores dress, but regardless it's destiny was known immediately. I finally got around to buying the pattern last week now here it is.  
First up, I just have to say how much I adore these arms.  They have this incredible optical illusion going whereby it makes me feel like I have skinny arms.  I really really love the connection of the sleeve with the body of the top. I think it has a bit of an edge to it. In fact, I'm not really a batwing wearer but this feature has completely won me.  Completely!
I had to go to the copy shop last weekend to print out some things, so thought I'd try the copy shop option on this pattern. What a treat!  I am defnitely #teampdf and I love to cut and tape in front of the TV but this was a nice little present to myself.  As I said, I originally intended this to be a dress so cut it out as a dress.  It looked nice as a dress, but just didn't feel like me.  In the end it was either make it up as a dress and give it away or cut it into a top and see how that felt on. Selfishness ruled and I'm so glad. The top is great. Despite being a knit - which I rarely wear, I feel like this is fitting in well with my wardrobe and confidently wore it to my son's birthday party today. 
A few sewing notes now. It's sewn up on the overlocker. I reinforced the shoulders with tape, which isn't in the pattern, but I've got into that habit now.  

The pattern calls for attaching the binding on each side and then joining up later. I thought I could outsmart Zoe (really!?) and attach the binding in the round to make it so much neater on the inside. Wah - first attachment, there was a load of gape at the shoulders even though I reduced the length. Anyway, I unpicked it, yes, unpicked the overlocking, took another little bit off and restitched it again!  Still drape at the shoulder corners. Well of course there was because of the style! Doh Kirsty. In the end I pinched a tiny triangle on the shoulders and overlocked down - as they should have been done in the first place. Lesson learnt. Neck sits perfectly now.

The sleeves and hem are twin stitched. I hemmed this twice as I didn't quite like the length initially and after my several attempts at the neckline I felt I owed the hem a little attention. I probably should have put some tape on the hem, but I just turned it over which is fine.   

This is a really easy and quick make (ok, this one not so quick, but next time..). Thanks Zoe for a great little pattern!

45 comments:

  1. Looks great on you, Kirsty, and I think the fabric is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SeamsOddLouise.Blogspot.comFebruary 14, 2015 at 11:19 PM

    I love the sqiggle print and it looks lovely as a Dolores top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an amazing knack of matching patterns & fabric. Another winning make!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabric AND the pattern. You are right - those arms are very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pairing of pattern and fabric Kirsty!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a truly fab fabric and is your choice of fabric that makes the sleeves look cool (enhances the clever construction) - I must confess I'm not a fan of the "original" stripes look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Sasha. Yes, it was this fabric that pushed me over the line with this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a style I'd never think to wear but yours looks so good I might just have to consider it now. A knit top with a bit more style than many!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've admired the Dolores for a while and I adore your skinny arms with the batwing (I do love a batwing) sleeve. very cool fabric choice for this, I can picture it getting lots of wear, so well done on being selfish ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never gone for this pattern before, it's always felt a bit 80's throwback but not in a good way to me. But I truly love this on you and in this fabric. You know how to win a girl over!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh, I really like this as a top with the squiggles. I think the pattern would be too much in dress form. This almost has a winter feel to it- don't be encouraging the cold yet! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This style look great on you. I was a bit worried about the clingy sleeves but you really make them work. Great fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fabric /pattern combo works nicely. Thanks for the inspiration. I am thinking of making a similar look, Burda top: 12/2013 #128.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kirsty I am sooooo in love with your Dolores top! You look so lovely in it and am excited to hear that it has won you over to #teamknit! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is lovely! It looks comfy but much more edgy than a regular t-shirt. The print is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks great on you and that fabric is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great! Go spotty! I came to the realisation many boatnecks ago that attaching any kind of binding in the round would make my eye start to twitch..... I'm team #bindingintheflat4eva!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've nailed this look Kirsty. A bit of tape on the shoulder seams is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this version! I'm not normally a fan of batwing tops but you've won me over with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Claire. I'm not such a fan normally on me, but this sits pretty well. How is your coat going? I'm so excited to see how it turns out?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha! I think I might consider joining that team! Please tell me you got tickets to Melbourne Frocktails!!?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Helena. The fabric was a great little find.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Suzy! Yes, I like the fact that it seems a little bit edgier than a regular tshirt as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Zoe! So glad you like it. I'm really chuffed with it as you can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is a great pattern. The neckline seems more curved which might suit attaching the binding in the round a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes, I'd heard a few 'tight arms' review, but there is very stretchy and think so it works ok I think.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh no - at that, the top goes back in the cupboard. I need at least another month of summer. At least!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I know exactly what you mean. It was really only seeing the fabric that I thought it would work in the pattern.. otherwise I wasn't even going to make it up.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can see you in this pattern for sure! Go the bat wing.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks Shell. For me, it was just finding the right fabric, but even then I wasn't sure how it was going to go on me. I feel like it looks just a little bit different.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks Debbie. I feel like this was an unexpected win!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much Anna - that is a massive compliment coming from you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fantastic print - I'm not much of a knits wearer myself but I would make allowances for this fabric! Very stylish piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a cute top and I love the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sarah, it's a cocktail party thing in Melbourne http://sewingwithpatience.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/event-more-frocktail-tickets.html I'm not sure if there are any tickets left but I'm sure some will come available over the next few months. There are a lot of us Canberrans coming down for it.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think it's all sold out. Clearly I don't have my finger on the pulse :(

    ReplyDelete
  37. You really inspire me to fiddle with more knits-- they're such a tricky and finicky thing!


    I love how this turned out, though- the bat wings are normally not my thing, but I think the print definitely worked. Had it been done in a more "bulky" sort of print it wouldn't have been as successful.


    Also, PDF patterns are awesome-- I tend to be able to organize them in my stash better!

    ReplyDelete