FINISHED! Victor Chambray

This pattern is the latest of the PDF offerings from Republique du Chiffon, the Top Victor.  Roobeedoo just posted her finished Victor which looks great on her.  She added 5cms to the length which seems to be a common adjustment.

It is a very cropped style with optional detailing (using fabric paint). It caught my eye straight away for the fun boxy shape and before I knew it I was racing ahead, sewing it up with some left over chambray.  It looks like a simple make doesn't it? It is and it isn't.

Unfortunately I don't really enjoy attaching pieces (like bias binding), you know sewing one side then turning over and top stitch (like a waistband). Which is a problem when it comes to sewing as this is a pretty fundamental technique! It just has the potential to be a bit messy for me.  The sewing level of difficulty on this particular make was increased further due to the extremely visible yellow top stitching I decided to attempt.

The sleeves went in well (only unpicking the top stitching once or twice) and I was loving how it was looking.  I stumbled however at the collar, which I installed twice then unpicked not liking the results.  I worried then that it was probably too short and wondered whether I should put a band on it.  The top then sat in the cupboard while I pondered it's future.
Saturday we had social sewing, and I decided to look at finishing it and I unpicked the collar again. Sage advice from Jen suggested that I leave the bottom alone and so I hemmed it with bias binding (cut lengthwise in half) and attached at a scant 3- 4mm from the edge.  The collar went on much better the 3rd time, but again I laboured over the top stitching. It's sounding painful isn't it! (I also have another make waiting to be blogged that has an enormous amount of topstitching.  I must get a dose of prints soon to bring the levels back to normal.)
Now that it's finished, it's ok but I don't love it. I'm not really not sure how to style it  to get the right shape and silhouette (I'm not up for showing lots of skin).  These trousers are very old RTW but it struck me that they might be fun together and I like the slight bagginess of the trousers (except for when I've got my hands in my pockets !!) although the odd way that this style cross at the front is marginally annoying so it's not perfect.
I do love chambray on chambray and denim on denim which may account for the silly photos. If I grow to love this top I might need to make a matching pair of papercut pleated pants.

24 comments:

  1. Oh, I really like it. Don't know how I'd wear it either but it's pretty good with the pants. I'm suffering from 80s nostalgia though--but the denim on denim feels modern, too. I noticed the pattern but was taken with the print and didn't see the shape. I like how full it hangs from your shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If anyone can make this work - you can. Thanks for keeping it real about the struggles you had with this project. I love the comment - "grow to love" I find that this happens when sewing your own clothes sometimes. I think it's a fun silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the swing of this silhouette! Also denim on denim or chambray/chambray is always a win for me too! Have you tried it with something fitted, maybe a fitted jersey dress or high waisted skirt? That might look quite cool too. I'd struggle too as hate the thought of exposed midriff - the last time I did that was the 90s!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love that neckline, it's beautiful. I agree with Kathryn - over a fitted knit dress it would look amazing. And lady, if you took those pics over the last couple of arctic days I salute you in the name of fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this shirt...it looks really "designer" (geez I sound like a bogan when I say that but you know what I mean). For me, I'd wear it with a pencil skirt...or maybe eve a circle skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. jen@ the stitcher and gathererAugust 5, 2014 at 12:05 PM

    Oh darling..you look cute!! I am glad you kept it that length, it means it will go really well over most trousers/skirts..if it was longer it might look frumpy? love the chambray love xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's cute! I like its volume and boxiness. And actually when I first saw this on IG I thought it must have been part of TPS because together with the pants the top makes a great silhouette. I'd love to make this up sometime too, and good to know about adding the extra length.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so not a denim on denim, chambray on chambray person, but damn you can work it! I like the shapes together, but must admit to going for opposites top to bottom - billowing tops with slim line bottoms and billowy bottoms (!) with slim tops. Not that I'm formulaic or anything :) I was interested to hear your issues with the top stitching. I'm about to start the Alder Shirtdress in a dark denim and I'm pondering that choice... A goldy tone (like jeans) thread which will show EVERY error or a fade into the background navy. Hmmmmm... Topstitching are you my friend or foe?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you tried it with your swooshy culottes / shorts or a skirt? I was surprised to find I really like it with my jupe chardon - I am just waiting for my long-line cami to arrive so I can wear that combination to work :)
    And totally with you on the topstitching... aargh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sweep at the back is the coolest shape, I like how it's angular and circular at the same time! Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this on you a lot. I'd be lost to try and style it myself. Maybe some high waisted pants?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Myra. I clearly need to make more bottoms to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks! It has a great flow to it doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the photos of it with your chardon. I think in a different fabric it would be - surprisingly - very versatile in my wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are you SURE that you don't like a bit of denim on denim!!? :) I think you'll nail the Alder shirtdress. It will look fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think this design is just calling out to be part of a TPS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks sweets. Such a lot of unpicking for a simple little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good suggestions and I love that you think it looks really designer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ha ! Yes I did take those photos in the freezing - all in the name of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great suggestion re the fitted skirt and I am staying well clear of the exposed midriff!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Janet. It's a bit embarrassing how much unpicking happened..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Jennifer! I was really taken at first with the triangles at front as well. I love the hanging too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the lines of this- it's flawy AND boxy! Styling wise I'll leave you with the pros- but yay for double chambray!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the pattern...am wanting to purchase...but my french is bad. How difficult would this pattern be with deficient french skills?

    ReplyDelete