FINISHED! Ahoy there Charlotte Skirt

It's finished! My Charlotte Skirt! And I LOVE it!
IMG_1736

I made this during the By Hand London Charlotte Skirt sewalong  and I found it a great way to sew.  It was a nice way to try something new - allowing myself the time to do things properly.  The pace was nice and easy, just how it should be in January.  Have to admit though that I was busting by the end to finish it and wear it.  Last night I diligently hand sewed the hem so today it could make its debut.

IMG_1738
This skirt introduced me to a couple of new techniques:  the invisible zip and lining a skirt. Those poor girls at By Hand London, I was always asking them questions about this and that! Overall I'm pretty happy with how it is sewed and of course how the skirt looks on.  I think the cut is pretty flattering.   I was a bit worried that I would have problems sitting as it is pretty tight, but no problems there and as you can see I provided a pretty generous split at the back for power walking
IMG_1767

My skirt is made of linen with a darker yellow lining.  As you may remember I bought the fabric with the sole purpose of going with a pair of shoes.  I have had the tshirt I'm wearing for a few years but I've never really worn it as it needs to be tucked in... enter the Charlotte Skirt which is in need of something not too thick to be tucked in.  I love love love the sailor result.  I wore it today to work and my colleagues were extremely kind and generous with their comments.  Next time, I'll make it with something thicker like brocade. 
IMG_1743

22 comments:

  1. Love it! What a beautiful job you've done, and I love the more laid back appeal of making it in linen... Something I now will have to try! So glad you enjoyed the sewalong - Elisalex dress sewalong coming soon....! eeeep!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linen seemed to be a good choice for Summer but don't worry I'll be making up a winter version.. perhaps of the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely skirt. The length looks so elegant on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Katherine. I really struggled over the length but as I wore it today, I felt that I got it right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, you look really pretty in that skirt and top. Perfect match! And the shoes too! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous and perfect with your shoes! I am SO making a linen version after since yours all put together. I hope to finish my wool one by Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oops - I meant *after seeiing yours put together*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your skirt looks awesome! Congratulations on those firsts, the zipper and lining. It suits you perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Morgan. I think it will be a great work skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Shar. I can't wait to see yours!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous! The skirt is such a good fit - something I've noticed in all the Charlotte skirts I've seen - and I love your colour combination too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Kathryn. I think the success of the fit is that the only adjustment that I needed was on the side - and it's only a matter of taking off the sides rather than adjusting darts etc. The tute on the By Hand website made it really easy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous skirt! I'm just finishing a bonded lace version - which sounds horrendous but it's looking quite special! Then I want to make an emerald green one. I think the pattern looks amazing in colours - like your yellow. It's such a lovely feminine pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow!! A lace version will be amazing and an emerald green one sounds divine. I'm definitely going to make a wool or brocade version for winter.. but the linen is great for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great skirt, and I so love how you style outfits together in your own unique way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks fab. I was looking at your blog last night and missed this one. Do you think you'll do the dress?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wore this again to work today. It's such a great outfit. The skirt is actually really comfy. Not sure about the dress. I'd like to and I have a 'gala ball' to go to in March, but I'm just not sure I have time to make it before then.

    ReplyDelete
  18. nooo im so upset i only just stumbled upon your blog! i just moved from canberra to adelaide!! lovely skirt, and i love your top too ^_^ dam cold canberra weather!



    Ruffles x
    www.rufflesgazebo.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for finding me and now I've found you :) Yes, damn the cold !

    ReplyDelete